Sunday, November 26, 2017

Sunday "Bad" Movies - Year Two Top 10 Favourite Movies



The second year of the Sunday “Bad” Movies began with a bunch of Christmassy fun, as any year does.  That just happens when the anniversaries fall at the beginning of December.  It also kicked off with a post about The Disaster Artist, a book by Greg Sestero involving his friendship with Tommy Wiseau and the making of The Room.  Look for my thoughts on the movie adaptation of the book whenever I get to see the movie.  The year closed out with a post about the sequel to the movie that had closed out the first year.  It was nostalgia for the first year that capped off the second.

I’m now about to go into my sixth year of Sunday “Bad” Movie writing, and decided that I would take the time leading up to the fifth anniversary to write about my ten favourite movies that I watched in each year.  This is the second post and I will be covering the second year of movies.  Week 53, the first anniversary, was a rewatch of The Oogieloves in the Big Balloon Adventure, so I’m starting my top 10 eligibility at week 54, Jack Frost.  The year will end at week 104, Evil Bong 2: King Bong.  There were 64 movies that I covered, so there were a lot that didn’t make it to the top ten.  What did?
Troma has been a constant source of my bad movie watching for a long time.  Outside of the Sunday “Bad” Movies, I’ve seen things like Honkey Holocaust, Hectic Knife, and Sick Sock Monsters from Outer Space, all of which the company distributed.  Poultrygeist was one of the many movies that they produced in house, and not the only Troma produced movie I’ve seen.  It was also one of the strangest experiences I’ve had.

Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead was a horror comedy musical.  The story was about a man named Arby trying to win back the heart of a woman named Wendy.  He worked at American Chicken Bunker (a KFC spoof), where the chicken was coming back to life and attacking people in a zombie-like way.  Throughout, the characters broke into songs such as Slow Fast Food Love, Revenge is a Dish Best Served Fried, and Generous General.

The Lloyd Kaufman tendencies hurt Poultrygeist a bit, making it too grotesque at points.  He went even farther than I’m used to from the other five movies I’ve seen him direct.  But what brought it back into the top 10 was the music.  The singers weren’t great, but the songs were catchy.  They were fun to listen to.  Slow Fast Food Love ended up becoming one of my favourite musical songs of all time, and that’s with a reference to tossing salad in the main chorus.  Even with this being as bad and off-putting as it is, I still have a place for it in my heart.
9. Gymkata
One rule that I have when choosing movies to put into the Sunday “Bad” Movies is to automatically schedule any movies that get multiple suggestions.  If more than one person suggests a movie, I’m going to watch it.  Gymkata was the first movie to get suggested twice, once by @Mimekiller and once by @Movie_Doc.  There’s a reason that both of them wanted to suggest this one.  It’s bonkers.

What was there that made Gymkata special?  For one, the name came from the combination of gymnastics and martial arts.  The reason that gymnastics were an essential part of the film was that the lead actor was an Olympic gymnast named Kurt Thomas.  His character, John Cabot, was also an Olympic gymnast.  He was tasked with participating in a competition in Parmistan where the winner gets a wish.  The Special Intelligence Agency wanted him to win and wish for a US satellite monitoring station to be built in the country.  It was an insane story that had insane action.

The action made the movie worth watching and brought it to the level of this top ten.  Between the crazy fighting during Cabot’s training and the competition itself, Gymkata never lacked action.  The most memorable part was the final obstacle of the game, a village filled with hostiles.  Everyone in the village tried to kill Cabot and he had to get through with his life.  At one point, he found a pommel horse on the street and used it to kick the various villagers that approached him.  Why was there a pommel horse just on the village streets?  Who cares!  It’s Gymkata!  One final little note, the movie was name dropped in The LEGO Batman Movie.
The Asylum has always been a big part of the Sunday “Bad” Movies.  The studio was one of the biggest influences in my writing about bad movies.  I had seen things like Battle of Los Angeles and Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies before starting the Sunday “Bad” Movies.  Early on, I included 2-Headed Shark Attack.  But it’s The Coed and the Zombie Stoner that has made one of my top ten lists.

Most of the Asylum movies that I had seen up to this point were either mockbusters (movies that ripped off whatever was popular at the time, Battle of Los Angeles ripping off Battle: LA), or animal attack movies.  The Coed and the Zombie Stoner was the first of The Asylum’s raunchy teen comedies that I saw.  It had a different method of entertainment delivery than the other Asylum movies, but it still felt like Asylum.  And that’s with it not following the normal Asylum structure.  It wasn’t based on anything else.  It didn’t have a fading Hollywood star in a major role.  There wasn’t so much in terms of action effects that could be used poorly.  It was a different kind of Asylum movie that still felt like Asylum without looking like it.

The Coed and the Zombie Stoner was fun.  It was nothing more than that.  Plain old fun.  A college student becomes a zombie.  A sorority girl falls in love with him.  There’s a zombie outbreak.  There’s a naked marathon.  The evil sorority leader gets what’s coming to her.  It’s not a smart movie by any stretch of the imagination, but it is fun.  That’s all that matters, and it makes sure that the fun counts.
The name alone seemed like something that needed to be covered for the Sunday “Bad” Movies.  It took a religious figure and pitted him against monsters.  What more do you need for a classic bad movie?  There was much more than those two things that helped make Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter one of the most memorable movies to ever grace the blog.

Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter was suggested by @lyzetteg24, who I believe now goes by the Twitter handle @filmslikedreamz.  I could be wrong though, and promoting a random person’s Twitter account.  As soon as the movie was suggested, I knew it would end up in the schedule.  Boy, did I get something great when I watched it.  Jesus was protecting the lesbians of Ottawa, Canada from vampires with the help of El Santo, a Mexican wrestler.  He sang, he staked, and he got a haircut to fit in with the modern day setting.

This was one of those movies that made an impression on me as soon as I saw it.  When I’m asked about why I write the Sunday “Bad” Movies posts, Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter is one of the movies that comes to mind.  It took a ridiculous concept and had fun with it.  If a movie doesn’t have the high quality equipment or professional crew of the mainstream movies that people watch all the time, it better be fun.  The people making it better put out something entertaining that you could watch with a bunch of friends to have a good time.  Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter fit that description.  It wasn’t the highest quality movie, but it was a ton of fun.
Friday the 13th had gone through a lot as a franchise.  This was the ninth entry, and the first that broke from the standard slasher formula.  Instead of having Jason Voorhees, his mother Pamela, or Roy Burns simply following teenagers and killing them, Jason Goes to Hell upended the franchise with some supernatural body-hopping hijinks.

I get where people might find this movie just plain bad.  It’s a Friday the 13th film.  It should be a slasher.  Instead, the movie goes deep into the lore of the Voorhees family in a way that none of the others had.  Sure, there was always the connection between mother and son.  She sought revenge for his death, and he loved her after hers.  The ninth installment of the franchise brought in an unknown half-sister of Jason, as well as her daughter and grand-daughter.  Jason could only truly be killed by a relative, and since he was now body-hopping, the only way to get his own body back was to possess one of the relatives.  If that’s not crazy enough, there was a bounty hunter named Creighton Duke trying to bring everything together for a final showdown to kill Jason forever.

There were two reasons I enjoyed Jason Goes to Hell, a movie suggested by @ThatStevenC.  One was Creighton Duke.  That character felt like something that was missing in the Friday the 13th movies outside of the Tommy Jarvis trilogy.  He was a character whose purpose was to stop Jason.  What can help elevate a slasher beyond slashing is an anti-slasher, a hero to the villain.  I mean this as more than a final girl type.  Take Dr. Loomis in Halloween.  He was always there trying to stop Michael throughout the series.  Creighton Duke was that for one movie.  The other thing was how the standard formula of the Friday the 13th franchise was broken.  Every movie had its entertaining moments, with the kills trying to get more and more off-the-rails, but that story can get boring.  Sometimes, something new should be attempted.  It might not land.  The attempt is still nice.
Three of the four Iron Eagle movies didn’t do too much for me.  Even though the original had a great soundtrack, I have a tough time remembering anything about it.  The second one, I remember two groups coming together, but I don’t remember the context.  The fourth was like a “next generation” sort of thing.  It’s the third movie that stuck with me, and for good reason.  It was different than the rest.  It had a different feel, one that fit me better.

Most of the change in Aces: Iron Eagle III could be attributed to director John Glen.  He had come out of working on five James Bond films into working on the third Iron Eagle movie, and that influence truly showed.  It was apparent that the director had been a part of the later Roger Moore Bond films, since this one felt like the campy, goofy late Moore-era style mixed with a story like the Dalton-era.

Louis Gossett Jr. returned as Chappy an ace pilot, as the title suggested.  He was now working at an airshow, putting on fake plane fights.  After an old friend’s plane was shot down, Chappy put together a team of seasoned pilots to defeat a drug lord in Peru.  They used airshow plane tricks to take down the enemy pilots.  There was comedy as much as there was action, giving it a lighter tone than the others, while still telling a serious story.  It was the charm and cheese that made it entertaining, as well as a cast that included Paul Freeman (who would go on to be Ivan Ooze a few years later), Fred Dalton Thompson, Ray ‘Boom Boom’ Mancini, Sonny Chiba, and an early role for Phill Lewis. It’s just plain entertaining.
You’ll notice as I go through the five years of the Sunday “Bad” Movies that there are sometimes movies that I expect nothing out of, but I get a pleasant surprise of something super fun.  I got that in the first year with Hansel and Gretel Get Baked, and I got it in the second year with Big Ass Spider!  The name of each of those movies seemed like something that would be dumb and fun.  They weren’t nearly as dumb as I expected, and were instead mostly just fun horror movies.

Big Ass Spider! was a self-aware monster movie about an exterminator in Los Angeles who had to face off against a spider that grew larger every minute.  The exterminator teamed up with a security guard from a hospital, and together they went on an adventure to stop the spider from destroying the city and possibly the world.

The most important thing about Big Ass Spider! was the cast, who were clearly having a delight while making the movie.  Greg Grunberg took on the leading role exceptionally well.  His partner in crime, Lombardo Boyar, was a great sidekick.  Ray Wise and Lin Shaye helped to round out the cast.  There was even a small appearance by Lloyd Kaufman who never doesn’t have fun playing a role in a movie.  Having all of these actors together propelled the movie above the standard direct-to-video monster movie fare.  It was like Snakes on a Plane on a lower budget.

Yet nothing in it compared to the title drop.  Yes, that’s right.  The name of the movie was spoken in the movie, which made the title all that much better.  One guy on the news after the spider began its rampage said “Hide your kids.  Hide your wife.  There’s a big ass spider on the loose.”  And that’s how the movie got its title.  You can’t get much better than that.  Oh, and there’s also a solid use of Where Is My Mind? to kick off the whole movie.  That song is always great.
As someone who loves bad movies, how could I not fall in love with this one?  It was baffling in so many ways.  Every decision was absurd.  It ended up being a surreal experience.  I couldn’t believe what was unfolding before my eyes.  Was there ever something unfolding.

This is one of the few movies that I’ve watched twice for the Sunday “Bad” Movies.  It was originally chosen based on what I had heard.  Nobody suggested the movie before I watched it.  I had simply heard tales about how weird it was, so I decided to watch it.  It only became more infamous as time went on and when I asked which movie I should rewatch for the second anniversary, it got the most votes.  So I rewatched Winter’s Tale a second time.  Twice for the Sunday “Bad” Movies.  Only three other movies (soon to be four) can say they got that treatment.

What makes Winter’s Tale such a crazy movie that it ended up near the top of my list of favourites?  It’s a romance that takes place over two different time periods.  The romance has to do with people giving other people miracles.  There’s a magical horse, a demon miracle hunter, and a strange as all hell Will Smith role.  There’s even some amnesia thrown in there for good measure.  If there was anything that you thought could make a romance movie more ridiculously magical, short of one of the characters having been dead the entire time, this movie probably had it.

Winter’s Tale was like one of those accidents where you know it’s bad but you just can’t look away.  Everything was dumb.  Every new revelation made it dumber.  Yet, it’s one of the most watchable movies to have ever been a part of the Sunday “Bad” Movies.  If people wanted me to watch it and write something about it again, I probably would just for kicks.  Not as a main movie.  It had its time.  A bonus post though?  Sure.  I’d consider it.
You probably didn’t see this one coming.  It was a Lifetime Christmas movie from 2012 that not too many people know about.  I know about it.  I saw it for the Sunday “Bad” Movies and it quickly moved into that territory of Christmas movies that I watch every year because they bring me the Christmas joy that I want.  I would never outwardly admit that, though.  I’m open about loving the movie.  Not so much about the Christmas joy part.

This had been up for inclusion in the Sunday “Bad” Movies early on.  It was in one of the polls that I held in the early weeks before realizing that structuring the Sunday “Bad” Movies that way wouldn’t be sustainable.  It may have even been the first week.  I think I polled three Hasselhoff movies to kick things off.  It didn’t win and it wouldn’t be until the second year that I tossed it into the mix. I live Tweeted it with friend of the blog, @jaimeburchardt an instantly fell in love.  With it, not Jaime.  I was already in bro love with Jaime.

The part of The Christmas Consultant that brings me to it year after year is the performance of David Hasselhoff.  He’s not an actor that I usually think turns in great performances.  Most people might not even consider his role of Owen, the man brought into the family to help them throw a Christmas party, a great role.  The Hoff turned in some good work, though.  He brought the energy necessary for the role, and when things got sad, he was able to bring a believable sadness to the table as well.  It was as good a performance as you could want for the titular Christmas Consultant.

There were a lot of things that Owen did to bring holiday cheer that would have fallen flat without the energy of David Hasselhoff.  There was an intense caroling scene that upped the ante by adding backpack speakers and a microphone.  Owen helped to get rid of the local bully by pummeling him with fruitcakes.  He brought the extended family together to get the decorations set up on the front lawn.  Owen even taught the kids to play Christmas songs on different instruments to perform for their parents.  Oh, and he set up a green screen sleigh ride for the parents.  He was the ultimate bringer of Christmas cheer, and brings the joy into my house every holiday season.
How could this not be in the top spot?  Samurai Cop is the kind of movie that I love discovering while going through the many bad movies I watch every year.  It was so poorly made.  However, that didn’t keep it from being highly entertaining.  The entertaining aspects outweighed how poorly made it was, to the point that it heightened them to being even more entertaining.  The bad dialogue, wigs, and acting worked together to create something special.

There was a police officer who was well versed in the ways of the samurai.  He was partnered up with another police officer who was well versed in being an undercover cop.  The partner even called himself an undercover cop when he was climbing under a wall.  They were going up against a drug ring in Los Angeles, who also had a member well versed in the ways of the samurai.  It had action, sex, comedy, and all kinds of bad wigs on the main character.

In the fifth year of the Sunday “Bad” Movies, I scheduled the sequel, Samurai Cop 2: Deadly Vengeance.  I rewatched the first movie in preparation for that, and had as much fun with it as I had the first time I saw it.  It was like seeing it again for the first time.  There’s not much of depth that I can really say about it.  All I can say is that I loved Samurai Cop.  If you’re a fan of the Sunday “Bad” Movies, it is one of those must see movies.  You need to watch it.  It is one of those movies that can truly show that a movie can be “so bad it’s good.”




That brings year two of the Sunday “Bad” Movies to a close.  Ten movies from the second year of this blog series.  At some point during that year, it became its own blog.  I decided that since the series was going on for long enough and (still to this day) having a post come out every Sunday, it was worth giving its own space.  And it has been worth it.

There will soon be posts for my ten favourite movies from the third year, the fourth year, and the fifth year.  This is my way of looking back on the five years in which I’ve been watching bad movies and writing about them.  It is all leading to the five year anniversary, which will be celebrated on December 3rd.  That’s a big deal for me.  Five years.  Wow.  See you soon with year three.

No comments:

Post a Comment