Sunday, June 26, 2022

Week 500 Amityville Introduction


Welcome to week 500 of Sunday “Bad” Movies. That’s a pretty big milestone for something that started as me just wanting to write about some of the bad movies I’d been watching. I’ve made it a weekly habit. Each week, I sit down and watch a movie. Maybe two, three, four, or five movies depending on if it’s a franchise week and what franchise I’m checking out. I’ve seen over 600 movies that people would consider bad. And, for the most part, I’ve enjoyed it.

I’m not going to get too deep into things in this post, since the ten-year anniversary is a mere few months away. I just want to give a quick thanks to the people who stuck around the whole time, or are reading this now. I know there aren’t too many. And part of that is my fault. I could be promoting the blog a little more on social media. But, hey, I’m still here and some of you are too. That’s nice. Now to get into the main post.

Or should I say main posts? Yes, that’s right. There will be multiple posts this week, for the 500th week of Sunday “Bad” Movies. I decided that it would be a great time for me to go big, and go big I did. Week 500 is a franchise week. As such, I had to choose a franchise that I thought could encapsulate what the blog is about while also going above and beyond what I normally do. I couldn’t just do a normal franchise. Even a franchise of five movies wasn’t big enough for such a momentous occasion. I had to go bigger. Here’s what I came up with.

So, back in late October or early November, I figured out what week 500 was going to be. At first, I thought that maybe it would be one long post going over a whole bunch of movies. Nah. That wasn’t going to work. I got a few movies into the post and realized I was going to have to split them up. If you’ve seen the title where I name the movies, you already know. If you came here from Twitter, where I linked to the post, you already know. It’s not going to be hard to figure out why I needed to do so many posts. I’m going through the Amityville movies.

I started the original post for this on November 15th. I know this because I wrote that date into the post, saying I was starting it. My plan was to go through all the Amityville movies. Yeah, the main franchise is eight movies. Nine, if you count the remake. Ten, if you count Amityville Awakening. But my plan was to go even further with it. I wasn’t only going to watch the main franchise movies. I was going to watch as many of the offshoots as I could, as well. You know, those movies that took the Amityville name and used it for their own gain? They might not be connected to the Amityville movies that came before. They might not even be connected to the Amityville mythos at all, outside of the name. I wanted to watch all of them.

As I write this, now at the end of May, I’ve seen ten Amityville movies. I watched the original eight and the remake. And I’ve started through the offshoots with the first one listed on the Amityville Wikipedia page. I’m still planning on checking out more, so we’ll see how far I get. I’ve been writing about them the whole time, and that’s where I decided to change things a bit. (Note: At time of release, I have watched sixteen Amityville movies, so that’s where we sit.)

My original intention was to write one long post about all the Amityville movies. And I could still maybe toss that together at some point. However, I realized that releasing it all as one post would be like releasing an entire book at one time. Y’all don’t come here for books. You come here at some point to quickly read my thoughts on the “bad” movies I watch or ideas that those movies spark in my head. So, yeah, I decided to cut the post up into chunks and make it more digestible. Does that mean I have to do some extra writing with intros and outros? Sure. This whole 700+ word intro wasn’t in the original post. It's fresh, late-May writing for you. But I think everything will be better for it. Also, consider how long the notes at the end of the post would be if I did all the movies at one. Yikes.

Now to get to what I did to split the posts up. I’m still going to go in order of the movies. I’m not going to do one post that involves the three movies about the DeFeo murders. I’m not going to pair the original up with the remake. I’m going to go in order of release based on what the Wikipedia page I’ve been following says. Based on the movies I’ve watched so far, there are some good separation points between movies that I’ll be using to decide the posts. That’s about it, really. I followed release dates and separated where I felt it was natural.

Sitting here and writing this, I realize that this is a long intro. It might be too long for a post that should be covering three movies in a series of posts that will be covering possibly twenty or more movies. That’s why I’m going to wrap things up for now. Consider it an introduction to the post series that will be coming up shortly. Happy 500 weeks of Sunday “Bad” Movies. I hope you enjoy what I’ve cooked for you.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment